“In an effort to enhance tourism experiences in Malaysia, Malaysian government announced the implementation of a Tourism Tax (TTX), effectively applied from 1 July 2017.
Please be advised that this a decision made by the Ministry of Finance and the Customs Department stating that (TTX) is charged at a specific rate on tourists staying at hotels provided by any operator as per below rates:
- Five star hotels, tax rate is fixed at RM 20 per room per night.
- Four star hotels, RM 10 per room per night.
- One, two and three stars hotels, RM 5 per room per night.
- One, two and three Orchid RM 2.50 per room per night.
- Non rated hotels, RM 2.50 per room per night.
When making hotel arrangements, through any method (online, through an agent, etc), please understand that these taxs will be paid directly to the hotel upon arrival. Even if all other hotel fees and taxes are paid, these Tourism Tax are not collected in advance. This is consistent with many other countries.
Also please be advised that governmental authorities in India will apply Goods and Services Tax (GST) on July1 and increment of 10 % will be applied to all hotel bookings in India, this additional fees will be paid directly by guests upon check in.